I always loved Angel Food cake. Plain. Just the cake. My mother-in-law wow’d me the first time she baked one from scratch. It was simply heavenly. Divine. Etheral.
Her recipe works. Every single time.
Angel Food Cake
Traditional angel food cake
- 10" tube pan
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- Sift together flour and 1/2 cup sugar together 4 times.
- Combine egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, vanilla, and almond extract in very large bowl. Beat until moist stiff peaks form.
- Add 1 1/3 cups sugar in 4 additions, beating just until blended each time.
- Fold in flour mixture in 4 additions, using a large wire whisk.
- Pour into ungreased 10" tube pan. Cut through with knife to dislodge bubbles.
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool upside down. Balance on a bottle if needed to clear top of cake from table.