A couple of years ago, my husband and his cousins got together for a cousin reunion. During the weekend, I asked them what foods they remember “most” from their visits to their Oftedahl grandparents. I was expecting them to start listing Norwegian foods. Nope. Every one of them said, “Chocolate Chip Cookies!” (That was good news for me – I’d must rather bake chocolate chip cookies that Kringla anyway!)
I decided to carry on that tradition by always having these cookies in the oven as my grandchildren arrive for a visit.
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 3/4 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat over to 375.
- Combine Butter Flavor Crisco, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.
- Beat egg into creamed mixture.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda and mix into the creamed mixture until just blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls (about 2 measuring tablespoons) of dough 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 8 – 10 minutes for chewy cookies (cookies will appear moist – Do not overbake), or 11 – 13 minutes for crisp cookies.
- Cook on baking sheet 2 min. Remove to foil on countertop.